This project was for Cheshire West and Cheshire Council, to deliver a state-of-the-art new bus station, as a gateway to Chester including and associated public realm works. This development freed up the old bus station site for the Northgate regeneration masterplan.
HLM delivered public realm works to compliment the new gateway bus interchange building in Chester.
The scheme involved comprehensive re-alignment and resurfacing of the surrounding streetscape and creation of new public plazas in front of the interchange and in Brookfield Place which succeeded in tying the site in with the wider Chester masterplan. The public realm and new building act as a prime gateway point to the historic city centre, with improved pedestrian and public transport links into the city and out to the wider Chester area.
HLM were employed by Graham Construction to develop a design from RIBA Stage 3 to a BIM level 2 standard, delivering viable landscape proposals which integrate the new interchange and road layout into the historic landscape of Chester.
The Landscape had to anchor the new contemporary building into its historic context with new public spaces and street scene. HLM utilised natural stone surfaces to ensure they kept in line with City Centre Design Guide.
Project Key Achievements:
- Complex Technical design and detailing of High Quality public realm scheme on highly visible gateway site for Chester with several key interfaces between Landscape, architecture and engineering details
- Delivered additional works and details from the original contract and within budget
- Delivered complex BIM Level 2 Landscape Project integrating highways design within innovative building form and heritage landscape
- Delivery of cost effective detailed design solutions
- High Client and User satisfaction with the finished project